Search This Blog

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Review: Mariola's Organic Spa and Retreat

I've driven by Mariola's Organic Spa and Retreat many times and have always been curious and wanted to try it.  I even looked it up online, but the prices were a little high for my budget.  When I saw a Living Social deal pop up for a hour massage, hour facial, 30 minute reflexology and 20 dollars towards product at Mariola's, I bought it in a heartbeat.  

I made the appointment three weeks ahead of time.  Luckily I wrote the date and time on my calendar because I didn't get a reminder call the day before.  When I arrived, I was greeted by a fantastically relaxing scent and serene atmosphere.  However, there was a bit of chaos as the gentleman at the reception desk helped a customer over the phone and another customer and myself waited to check in.  This resulted in my massage starting 15 minutes late.

Working over a computer, heavy bags and a carrying a 16 month old have made my upper back and neck a mess.  Needless to say, I was looking forward to a relaxing swedish massage.  What I got instead was extreme pain as the masseuse put all of her body weight into her elbow and dug it into my back.  I realize I have a lot of knots and tight muscles in my back, but it felt like I was getting beat up.  The masseuse also talked throughout the entire massage, so there was no way to actually relax.  I'm not a fan of being in pain the day after a massage.

Next up was the facial.  I always get nervous about facials since I have sensitive skin, but the esthitician was fantastic.  She used organic Hungarian mud to draw out toxins.  While the mask was setting, she massaged my hands.  And the best part is that she did it all in silence.  I was in such a deep state of relaxation that I almost fell asleep.  My skin was literally glowing by the time she was finished.  

I was looking forward to capping off the experience with a reflexology foot rub.  However, it turns out that the reflexology was actually supposed to be included in the massage.  I had thought my massage went a bit long to make up for it starting late.  Turns out that the combo massage/reflexology cheated me out of 15 minutes.  

Don't get me wrong.  It was wonderful to have an afternoon at the spa to myself.  But the spa experience wasn't all I had hoped it would be.  Although the spa was beautiful and everyone was very nice, I will probably not go back to Mariola's.   

No comments:

Post a Comment