Search This Blog

Friday, August 5, 2011

Diaper Rash From Hell

Nothing breaks your heart more than when you're baby is sick or hurt.  Poor Sweet P got hit by a nasty rotovirus resulting in a diaper rash from hell.

On Tuesday I was working from home and had Piper with me.  As you all know, Piper is a big pooper, so a day with three or four dirty diaper isn't out of the norm.  However, I started to question things when we got to crazy explosive diaper number five and it was only 1:00 pm.  By the time I changed her diaper again, around 2:30 pm, I noticed her little tushy was bright fire-engine red.

Over the next few hours the stomach issues worsened and so did the diaper rash.  She screamed bloody murder during every diaper change and it made me cry seeing her in so much pain.  The next day the diaper rash was still pretty bad, but Piper seemed to be doing okay, so I took her to daycare.  This is where being a wommy gets really hard.

I wish I could have stayed home and cuddled with her all day, but I had a slate full of meetings and projects at work.  Talk about feeling like a horrible mother as I left her at daycare.  On Wednesday and Thursday her teachers said she ate okay, but was still having numerous crazy diapers throughout the day.    

My wommy group at work gave me a lot of great diaper rash advice.  One of the best tips was to not use wipes and instead clean her little bum with baby oil soaked cotton balls, which really helped.  The rash started to improve.

However, today, on the way to daycare, I heard Piper fussing in the backseat, which isn't unusual on our commute.  However, when I went to get her out of the car, I saw that she had a horrible poonami.  Both she and the car seat were covered in poop.  It was probably one of the grossest things I've ever experienced.

As I was my best to clean her and the car seat enough to head back home and to the pediatrician, I was in tears.  My poor little nugget was sick (and probably had been sicker than I thought for the past few days) and yet I was still taking her to daycare and heading to work.  Talk about wommy guilt.

I called my boss to tell her I wouldn't be in today and headed home to take care of Sweet P.   It turns out she has Rotovirus.  My peanut also lost half a pound that she can't afford to lost.   As we spend the weekend trying to get Piper to eat and drink, I will cuddle and hug her as much as possible.

On the upside, dealing with so many explosive diapers has helped to jump start my diet.  Talk about an appetite killer.

No comments:

Post a Comment